Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Creamy Chicken Enchiladas

Since James and I have been married I have been on a mission to find healthy yet yummy recipes, because we have both decided we need to lose some weight. Well I haven't been too successful considering my husband is quite the picky eater, which I didn't know while we were dating because he would eat anything and everything I cooked but now things have changed! So I think I'm headed in the right direction now because I found a website of a well known dietitian named Zonya Foco which I knew about before I got married, in fact she has inspired me to pursue a career in dietetics and hopefully become a dietitian. Most of her recipes are normal foods people eat but she just tweaked them to be healthier by using low-fat and reduced-fat products. Anyways for dinner last night I tried her recipe for Creamy Chicken Enchiladas and I'd have to say it's better than most enchilada recipes I've tried and so much more creamy and healthy. If you're looking for a yummy but healthy recipe to cook for dinner try this one and I don't think you'll be disappointed:)

Creamy Chicken Enchiladas

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

6 (4 oz.) each boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
1 can(4 0z.) chopped green chilies
1 cup light sour cream
1 can(10 3/4 oz.) cream of chicken soup(Campbell's Healthy Request)
1 can(10 3/4 oz.) evaporated skim milk
1 can(2 1/4 oz.) sliced black olives
1 cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese(I used the Weight Watcher's mexican cheese instead)
10 6-inch flour tortillas

Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and place over medium-high heat. Brown chicken turning frequently. Add chilies during last 2 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, mix together sour cream, cream of chicken soup,and evaporated milk then heat over medium-low heat.

Spread 1/2 cup of soup mixture over bottom of 9x13 baking dish. Lay 5 tortillas on a clean countertop. Put 1 Tablespoon soup mixture in a line down the center of each. Follow with: 2 T chicken, 1 T cheese and 1 tsp olives. Roll up and place in dish. Repeat with remaining 5 tortillas. Pour remaining soup mixture over tortilla rolls. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Place in oven and set timer for 20 minutes. Serve and Enjoy:)

No comments: